Thursday, September 23, 2010

September edition of the Haiti Gazette

Kompliman! (Greetings)

Been spending a few days between teams in Port au Prince, life here is very different. World Hope Haiti offices are located in a middle class residential neighborhood in an area that is relatively safe. It’s nestled off the main street where the roads are hilly, but paved. There is a section of road where we always hold our breath, no matter what vehicle we are in it bottoms out, just to what degree… We had a bus full of over 25 people and luggage and we had to get out and walk so the bus could make it up the road. I’ve walked through the neighborhood in early morning just absorbing the atmosphere. Since its’ what you would call an upscale neighborhood, the vendors come to you. The tinkling of a small bell alerts you that the man that shines shoes is nearby, a man carrying a cooler of cold drinks calls out his wares to those in houses and early in the day household workers are seen walking to work. The street side vendors are few but can be seen nestled back away from the road. I catch a glimpse behind tall concrete walls and fences occasionally to see beautiful homes and even a few swimming pools. Truly a different world then what is found a mile away. When I walk I try to smile and greet everyone and it’s always met with a big smile and greeting in return. The children (timouns) always giggle and call me blan (white person) or Madam blan Those beautiful smiles are such a delight…

There is a small strip “mall” within walking distance with a gas station, small market and the infamous “Hot and Fresh” restaurant. Spent sometime today perusing the market. Food stuffs are so expensive here. They do have a lot of the same items we have in the states but the prices are very inflated. The restaurant has great food but can’t let the menu deceive you… they have pizza listed but since we’ve been here it’s always finished.:) Personally, I don’t think it ever got started

We are feeling so encouraged, the more we travel the more progress we see. On our way back from Petit Goave I was impressed by all the work being done. It’s like watching the city come back to life. It will be a long road but the journey has begun. At the end of my walking route there is a very large house and grounds that was occupied by 10-15 large tents since we arrived. I noticed yesterday that all the tents are gone and the area is clean. I’ve officially seen more heavy equipment in the last two weeks than I have seen since our arrival!

I know I’ve “mentioned” this before but please don’t forget… One person can make a difference! We have a medical team here and have been traveling to various areas ministering to people. Yesterday we arrived and saw a number of people waiting, among them were a mom and dad with their young son stretched across their legs. He was covered in horrible sores and obviously in pain. Our two doctors checked him out and discovered he had a staph infection brought on after the impetigo he had got infected and his kidneys had begun to shut down. They said (not to the parents) that if he didn’t get to a hospital immediately he would die by the end of the day. The team leader, David, Michael (translator) and the family went off in the bus. They found a private hospital that began treating him immediately. The hospital required that they buy 10 days of meds for him and it just so happened that “buried” next door was a branch of Drs. Without borders who gave them all the meds free! David negotiated (his favorite thing) and got the hospital bill reduced by 75%. This young man will grow up now and all because someone was here… God is so good! What we may be called to do may not be quite so “dramatic” but it does matter! All people need and want the comfort of our heavenly father and friendship of others.. what would it be like if no one reached out to anyone??

David is excited, he starts his next project on Monday. He will be building a school in Verger which is about 9 km. outside of Petit Goave. The architect has drawn the plans and materials are being ordered. Our church district in Michigan is sending two back to back teams this week to construct a church at the same location. He loves being busy! The wall at the campground looks wonderful.

I’ve been struggling with a variety of weird illnesses but isn’t it great when the Dr. does (country) house calls??? Hoping to feel back to myself soon. I’ve been bombarded with this idea lately, which tells me God is trying to get my attention. The idea of home and what that means to me. I used to think of home as a family, house, dog and cat, all the usual things. I spent much of my life trying to “achieve” home… But the homes I created were never quite enough. When we left for the field in Zambia I knew that a home awaited us. I began recreating what I perceived as home. Now God knows (and me of course) I do not like to move, never have and never will. As a child we moved constantly and my sister and I went to so many different schools and lived many places. My “dream” was to live in the same place forever! When we returned from Zambia our apartment was flooded, we lived in a hotel for 60 days and then our one room apartment for two months. When we were asked to come to Haiti we “knew” we wouldn’t have a house right away but I was thinking TEMPORARY! Here we are six months into our job and still no home but the strange thing is its alright. I finally understand what it means in the Bible when we are instructed not to rely on self, material possessions and building homes with no true foundation. My home is God. The peace that learned lesson gives me is phenomenal. God has been so patient and bringing me along slowly knowing I’m one of those people that has to learn themselves. I like to think he chuckled that moment I “got” it!! It’s stated clearly in the book of Mark 10:17-24. I’ve read it many times but I’ve finally seen it! My sister, Connie, suggested I write about just this subject and I’m starting to put thoughts and sentences down in detail. We’ll see… Where is your home? Really?

We will be back in the states from mid to late November through December. The Haiti elections are coming up and due to the political climate it is better we are not in country. There will be a new president this year, no more terms for the current one. Please join us in praying that God make his desires known. If you and/or your church would like to have us share about our work here in Haiti, please email and we’ll put you on the schedule. We are still fighting out of the financial slump and in order for us to remain on the field , we do need your continued support. If you wish to contribute, please follow the instructions on our website, www.thewattersfamily.blogspot.com or call World Hope at 1-888-466-4673 and ask for donor services (make sure you ask them to apply your contribution to our account number 28163) If you wish to make a donation by mail:
World Hope International
c/0 Contributions Lockbox
P O Box 17151
Baltimore, MD 21297
Please note our name and account number on your check


Blessings,
David and Madam blan…


Updated score: Ants 13 – Beth 10 but I won’t give up!!!

It’s cooled down to only 100 degrees this week

No comments: