Tuesday, March 6, 2012

March edition of the Sierra Leone Tribune

Good morning,

It's hard to believe it's been a month since I last wrote. We have been patiently waiting for Harmatten to pass, I had no idea the word existed let alone what it meant. (Sounds like a Disney ride, doesn't it?) During the first few months of the year, there is a HUGE dust storm that comes off the Sahara desert and rolls its' way across Africa. There are days when the sky is, hmm what's the word, heavy or thick. It's not overcast, like rain, it's...it's very strange. When someone first explained it I thought it was a joke but after doing my trusty research on the net, it's true. I remember thinking nothing could compare to the dust in Zambia before rainy season, I was so wrong! It's everywhere, the trees, leaves, road, vehicles and your skin. In all my years, I don't think I have ever gotten so dirty without doing a thing. I hang the clothes inside out on the line so as to feel the "outside" is clean:) and then smack dust from them when they dry.

Lots of domesticity lately.... our last shipment of barrels had a used sewing machine that East Michigan ladies donated but unfortunately the tension was broken. I was in the middle of trying to make curtains so we asked around and couldn't find a machine but then George (who receives our barrels from the states) called and said he found one. We got to his place and discovered it was a German sewing machine, it's really old but works. Thank goodness for Google translate as all the markings and knobs have German words on them. I'm learning another language!

I can't find celery in Sierra Leone, no one even knows what it is... No celery salt, powder or the real thing. I share this because I had no idea how many recipes call for celery/or salt. Now I can't find it, I crave it (of course). I'm growing it (thanks to the seeds we brought with us) in foil baking pans and then will try to find a safe place (from dogs, cats, chickens and people) to plant it. The bread here is delicious, baked fresh everyday and from 1 PM on you'll see people selling bread everywhere. Plastic grocery type bags aren't free here, so we usually get our bread or chips in a piece of newspaper.

While in Freetown we found a produce corner that actually had lettuce that didn't look like it had been run over by a truck or regurgitated! I bought it dreaming of a salad, came home and proceeded to wash it and wash it and wash it and then I had to use safe water to wash it and wash it and wash it and then put it into bleach water and rinse it and rinse it and rinse it. I felt so guilty about the water I used... I wasn't hungry for salad anymore. The things we just don't even think about....

Our adopted families that live in the backyard... my favorite girl Janet was really sick. Burning hot, no appetite and her grandma said she hadn't eaten in 6 days. I couldn't handle that so we found a clinic. What an experience, thank goodness a few people spoke some English. Grandma said she needed to be seen also so I was asked for 5,000 leones ($1.20) so they could walk through the door, then blood tests, stool samples and urine tests were 25,000 (roughly $6) each. God knew what he was doing when he sent Grandma along, her blood pressure was 210/105. Blood in urine, parasites (worms) found in both of them plus Janet had malaria. They gave each an IV drip and medications and they returned the next day for another drip. Janet could have died and Grandma wasn't doing so hot either. I guess they have this super horrible strain here that doesn't die easily. I couldn't believe the difference in two days, Janet is smiling and laughing and Grandma is better. If she died, I don't know what would happen to Janet. Grandmas' BP is down and she's doing much better. I have taken them back twice now and the Dr. has not charged me anything, even after giving them additional meds. Treatment for one month for both of them cost about 125,000 which equates to about $30. A course of malaria drugs costs about $5-10 depending on what stage the patient is in. (The cost of two or three Starbucks coffees:( To think people are dying because they can't go...it's heart breaking. I was impressed with the Dr., usually when they see a white person the price increases dramatically. I expressed my appreciation to him during our last visit and he smiled and said we are all the same, God just changed things up with different colors of skin. I can envision bringing some medical teams in the future to work with this Dr.:)

David is very busy which equates to very happy. Frustrations on cultural issues at times, but he's handling them well, it takes awhile to fit in. One of his work crews is building blocks using molds. It's exhausting to watch but the blocks look great. Meanwhile we are adding a second story to the security building on site. In addition to our existing solar street lights, the installation of the solar pump for the juice factories' water is complete and working so well. It's great to watch the water pumped out of the ground without the assistance/expense/noise of a generator. First Step is considering putting solar into other areas of the site but money is tight. If you know of anyone who is in the solar business or feel inclined to assist in this endeavor, please let us know. Our next (we hope) solar project is the security/admin building which houses the sites' wireless internet connection and our offices. The price of diesel fuel is ridiculous but the need for electricity demands we pay for it.

Walter, Diesel and Rocky are growing like weeds. The dogs sleep on the front porch at night and we definitely know when someone comes around. How do dogs know these things? When I walk them anywhere, if I stop to talk to someone, Walter starts circling me - protecting me. It has to be instinct (this the mother of a veterinarian should know), right? Diesel does the same thing when it's just him with me. We've had to restrain them during the day as Diesel just can't leave those baby chicks alone. Now that they are tied up, the hens and chicks parade up and down in front of them and Diesel is just beside himself.

It appears I'll be very busy soon, I've been asked to help coordinate the transport and delivery of mangos from various villages to the juice factory. It can be quite challenging to acquire them from the villages, transport them to the site and have them not sit too long before they are used in production. The heat here is not kind to anything being left outside. Now that I've completed the internet project, automated the payroll system and am working on sewing classes I'm eager to sink my teeth into something else. The expat ladies bible study every week is wonderful and I thank God that he put some wonderful people from the US in our path.

David and I have been talking a lot lately about the change in our (my) roles here from previous placements. I have spent the last few months trying to convince myself that it's okay not to have one or two teams a week to plan for and work with, it's okay that I have "time" on my hands to do things like cook, sew, teach classes and dust 24/7. But as much as I wanted to pretend it was okay, it wasn't. I thrived on meeting new people and seeing old friends when teams arrived, sharing the amazing things that God was doing in our new country and selfishly speaking, I miss "being" needed. I have been struggling with this for a few months but during the last week I've been on my knees, asking God to help me accept that I'm right where he wants me. I picked up my devotional the other morning... there it was! From the words of Ephesians and John "I love you for who you are, not for what you do...you must learn to discern what is my voice and what is not..many of my children run in circles trying to obey various voices they feel are directing their lives.. My sheep know my voice and follow me wherever I lead". Guilty....I've been wanting to follow MY voice, MY wants and MY needs. God knows exactly what his plans are for me and my only "job" is to be obedient and they will be revealed. Hmm sounds so easy, why do I make it so hard sometimes?

Blessings,
Beth and David


P. S. We went to get our National ID cards the other day, they don't use white-out here, they pull out a razor blade and shave the mistake off!

P.P.S. Just a reminder, our donation percentage is slipping and we need your help. If you made a commitment, please let us know if you can't
fulfill it.
https://giving.wesupport.org/gift2/designation.php?GUID=0A797C5B-2B8A-4686-AB22-A52383315A6B&id=29156

Also, forgot to say a big thank you to Hillside Mission Committee for stepping up and helping us fund our "portable" Jesus film project. They purchased a DVD/projector, stand and DVDs to be shipped to us. Currently we are using a 9 in. DVD player and showing numerous Christian films on our porch. We get quite a crowd and are excited at the chance to take it to remote villages. We still need funds ($1000) for a small portable generator. It's so exciting to see the response from people here who want to know Jesus!We know circumstances change and it would help us in knowing we need to recruit people to fill those gaps. Thank you!

PPPS We received a barrel last week that our church and friends filled for us. Imagine our excitement as we opened a HUGE gift from home! I am overdosing on trail mix:) We received a belated anniversary card from our pastor and his wife and just seeing his handwriting brought us delight. Thank you to the best friends ever and our wonderful church family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prayer requests:

Continued healing for Janet and her grandmother
Funds for solar system at admin/security bldg. ($5,000)
Peace in our hearts
Davids' eye continues to heal properly

No comments: